Burns victim airlifted to Melbourne
A WARRACKNABEAL man was airlifted to the Alfred Hospital in Melbourne Sunday afternoon after suffering burns to his airway.
The Herald understands that Craig Cameron, 55 of Tarrant-st Warracknabeal was apparently trying to burn garden waste and had found difficulty igniting it.
He reportedly attempted to use a volatile fuel after trying to ignite the rubbish with diesel and failed.
Apparently the fuel was splashed on his upper body and his clothing caught fire causing burns to his airway, face, arms and hands.
Ambulance Victoria spokesperson Susannah Wilson said the victim was airlifted by a Bendigo based Helicopter Emergency Medical Service helicopter to the Alfred Hospital.
“The burns to his airway were serious, and may have proven to be a problem to his respiratory system if there was any swelling, hence the need to transfer him to Melbourne,” Ms Wilson said.
An Alfred hospital spokesperson said the man was in a serious but stable condition.